Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Respect

A sign commonly seen at churches in Italy.

One thing that caught my eye a lot while in Italy were signs at the entrances to the great cathedrals that we saw similar to the one above. You don't need to know Italian to understand what is is asking those who enter. From the Spanish that I know I can decipher that part of the sign is asking you to "dress with dignity and respect to the sacred location." In all the churches we visited to see specific pieces of artwork, not once did I hear a person complain when they were asked to cover themselves up better if they weren't appropriately attired. In some churches, they had disposable shawls that women could use for free to make sure they were covered where they needed to be as per the request.

This brings me to my main point. Why is it if our employer asks us to dress for success or only wear nice jeans on "Casual Fridays" or a school asks us to wear a specific uniform or to not wear certain items of clothing that we complain? Why can't we show respect of these requests and dress appropriately without complaining that it's a stupid rule or request. Just a thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment